How to file a claim

To file a claim for the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act:

1. You will need to contact your local Department of Labor (DOL) Resource Center .

2. The Resource Center will request you fill out an application and provide documentation regarding your work-related illness and employment records.  The forms can be found on the DOL Website or be obtained from the Resource Center. In some cases, you may need to provide examples of causation of illness.

3. The Resource Center will then send the claim to a District Office to be reviewed.   You should hear back from the District Office within 30 days to confirm you claim has been received.

4. A Claims Examiner will be assigned to your case and will contact you if additional information is required to determine eligibility of benefits.

5. A determination will be made on your claim and you will be informed about the decision.

You are not required to have an advocate or lawyer to file an initial claim for EEOICPA benefits. However, if you feel you would benefit from an advocate or a lawyer to help with the initial claim or an appeal of a denied claim, you can contact Cold War Patriots for a reference to local resources.